HUENDE
Legújabb bejegyzések
10.19.
Kőszeg kiemelt értékeiA tárlat 2018. január 14-ig tekinthető meg. A kiállítás a Földművelésügyi Minisztérium és a Hungarikum Bizottság támogatásával valósul meg.
10.19.
A fotográfia bűvöletébenA Jurisics-várban Keleti Éva fotográfiáiból nyílt kiállítás megtekinthető 2017. november 19-ig. A kiállításon egy-egy híres művész(-pár) pillanatképeivel ismerkedhetünk meg: Gobbi Hilda, Latinovits Zoltán-Ruttkai Éva, Kern András, etc.
09.28.
Az alábbiakban olvashatják a Jurisics vár október-novemberi nyitvatartását az ünnepek alatt:

Október 23. - NYITVA
Október 31. - NYITVA
November 1. - ZÁRVA
08.31.
Otto Potsch kiállításaA Kőszegi Művészeti Egyesület 2017. szeptember 1-jén, pénteken, 18.00 órakor nyitja a kiállítást, mely szeptember végéig látogatható. A megnyitón közreműködnek a Kőszegi Vonósok.
07.28.
Gustav Just (Wien): Török impressziókA Kőszegi Művészeti Egyesület nemzetközi kiállításának megnyitója lesz 2017. augusztus 3-án 18.00 órakor a Jurisics vár lovagtermében. A kiállítás augusztus végéig látogatható.

The Jurisics Castle

The oldest part of the Lower Castle of Kőszeg was built in the 13th century. The inner castle originally of Gothic style was extended later on. This building complex served as an estate castle and was also converted in the Renaissance and Baroque era. The character of the two islands still can be observed: it is visible that the fortress and the interior of the castle were surrounded by a moat.

The photo was taken in the Renaissance hallway on the first floor in front of the main entrance of the Knights’ Hall.

The buildings of the fortress served economic purposes. There was the carriage house, the stable and the watchtower. The inner castle from the courtyard can be reached over the brick bridge. This was built after the demolition of the leaf-bridge standing over the former moat. Apart from the Gothic wall paintings in the north wing, Renaissance paintings and graffitos are visible around the windows. The fortress was named after the captain of the castle who protected it against the attacks of the Ottoman army advancing to Vienna in 1532. Miklós Jurisics’s handful of men repulsed 19 sieges and the bell tolls, reminiscent of their victory, every day at 11 o’clock in Kőszeg.

The image was taken before the Forintos Tower located at the south corner of the castle showing a walkable barbette.

Kőszeg Castle was first mentioned in 802. Einhard’s Chronicles referred to Kőszeg as Castellum Guntionis. After the retreat of the Tartars the building of the Lower Castle began next to the town in the valley, which replaced the hardly accessible Upper Castle as the landlord’s estate in the Middle Ages. At the end of the 13th century the castle belonged to the Héder clan. In 1289, Prince Albert took over the castle. In 1291, Andrew III had the Old Castle destroyed according to the peace treaty of Hainburg. In 1327, Robert Charles took over the castle from the Kőszegi family after waging wars several times. Then after his victory in 1336, he granted considerable privileges to help the residents to develop.

In order to prevent Austrian invasions, city walls were built protected by strong towers. Water was channelled into the ditches that surrounded the walls from the nearby stream called Gyöngyös. In 1392, the castle belonged to the Garai family, in 1445 to the Habsburgs from whom Matthias Corvinus took it over in 1482 but the Habsburgs occupied it again in 1492.

The castle is best known for its siege suffered from the vast army of the Turkish sultan, Suleiman advanced towards Vienna in 1532, against opposition from captain Miklós Jurisics who organized his army of a thousand men which consisted of partly his own military but mainly serfs fleeing in from nearby areas.

The forces of the Ottoman Empire applied all possible means during the twenty-five days of fighting. Finally, by mutual consent, the Hungarians allowed eight Turkish flags to be planted on eight towers thus the Turkish general Ibrahim could report to the sultan about the apparent victory, so they could have marched south from the walls of Kőszeg. The sultan followed the events from the hill situated between Király-völgy (King Valley) and Kálvária-hegy (Mount Calvary). This place has been named Sultan Hill since then. As the city of Vienna was secured by major Austrian troops, Ferdinand Habsburg promoted Miklós Jurisics to barony and donated Kőszeg to him for his heroic bravery. Jurisics died without male offspring therefore the town was handed back to the royal chamber. In 1695, the castle and manor were acquired by Paul Esterházy (Palatine) and the family owned the castle until 1931. It was then sold and became a military property until 1955.

In previous centuries, the market town was often besieged by troops of Transylvanian, imperial and insurrectionist forces because the houses of wealthy citizens were attractive booty. In 1777, the castle was destroyed by fire and then most of the ramparts were pulled down.